‘Yellow vest’ protests: cars burn and looters raid shops in Paris
- 1,385 arrests, setting a record for a single day in postwar France
- An estimated 125,000 take part in "day of rage"
- Founder of Yellow Vest revolt denounces extremists
- Protesters vow to man barricades until Christmas
- Donald Trump throws weight behind protests
The mounted officers advanced behind serried ranks of police on foot holding up their shields like Roman legionaries. In front of them, on the fashionable Rue de Bretagne in central Paris, were the “yellow-vest” protesters and masked, black-clad youths, sending shoppers and patrons of pavement cafés scurrying indoors for cover.
“No one was expecting trouble in this area,” Françoise Perrin, 43, an observer, told The Sunday Telegraph….
Register for free to read this article, or log in to your Telegraph account