WWE Smackdown & Main Event spoilers: No Brock announcement; Chris Jericho vs. Sami Zayn
The WWE Universe will have to remain on #BrockWatch a little longer.
Despite teasing that Brock Lesnar’s SummerSlam opponent would be announced on this week’s SmackDown, the live crowd in Toledo, OH, left Tuesday’s taping with no more knowledge of who Lesnar would be facing at the August pay-per-view than everyone at home. Instead, the announcement will be inserted into the SmackDown broadcast in post production.
WWE Main Event
– Cesaro beat Curtis Axel with the Sharpshooter
– Baron Corbin beat Sin Cara with the End of Days
– The Golden Truth beat the Ascension with their finish
– WWE United States Champion Rusev submitted Apollo Crews with the Accolade
– Seth Rollins beat Jey Uso after hitting the Pedigree. WWE Champion Dean Ambrose was the special guest ring announcer and egged on Rollins during the match. Ambrose and Rollins got into an altercation after it was over, but Rollins backed off.
– Zack Ryder beat Sheamus with an elbow drop. Ryder came out to an updated version of his theme music. Ryder challenged Rusev after the match, and the match was later announced for this Monday’s Raw. Rusev did an promo mocking both Ryder and the United States.
– Natalya ambushed Becky Lynch in the ring before Lynch’s match could get started. The two women brawled with Natalya getting the upper hand with the Sharpshooter until refs pulled them apart.
– Enzo Amore and Big Cass came out doing their usual schtick. They talked about teaming with John Cena against The Club at Battleground. The Club interrupted them and set up a match between Enzo and Styles.
– AJ Styles beat Enzo Amore with the Styles Clash.
– Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens went at it verbally in a mostly comedic segment backstage.
– I-C Champion The Miz beat Kalisto after hitting the Skull Crushing Finale
– Sasha Banks did a backstage interview, and was interrupted by WWE Women’s Champion Charlotte and Dana Brooke. Brooke vs. Banks was announced for Raw.
– In the show’s main event, Sami Zayn beat Chris Jericho with a roll-up. Kevin Owens was on commentary and got involved with the finish, inadvertently giving Zayn the win. Owens beat down Zayn after the match.
– The dark match was Ambrose, Enzo & Cass going over The Club.